Freezing conditions prompt safety advice from Kent authorities
By MariaSoleil | Monday, January 14, 2013, 12:17
MEDWAY is bracing itself for a week of freezing temperatures - meaning it is important to be prepared for the chilly conditions when at home or on the road.
Authorities have issued safety advice for the freezing winter weather (Photo: Paul Johnston | Flickr)
Safety advice has been issued to residents by Kent County Council and Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) to help the public avoid encountering problems.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) is appealing to residents to help keep themselves safe at home and on the roads.
Steve Griffiths, KFRS director of service delivery, said: "During periods of low temperatures and chilly conditions, we urge you to follow our simple fire safety tips as a fire can quickly take hold and just three breaths of toxic fire smoke can be fatal - it's vital you have working smoke alarms on every floor of your home.
"Please also take the time to check on elderly relatives and neighbours to make sure they are safe, well and free from fire risks.
"Together with our partners, we have well-practised plans in place to maintain our emergency response for the county during this cold spell."
KFRS urge residents to remember the following tips to keep their family and home safe from fire:
- Portable heaters should be dust free and kept well away from anything that could catch fire
- Candles should be placed on a non flammable surface and never be left unattended
- Take care in the kitchen, do not leave cooking unattended
- If you plan to use an open fire, make sure your chimney is swept as built up soot and ash can cause chimney fires.
- Make sure you fit, and regularly test, a smoke alarm, it is the single most important piece of safety equipment in any home.
- Motorists are also warned that snow and ice on the roads can cause dangerous driving conditions and people should not travel unless the journey is absolutely necessary.
- Check tyres have the correct tread, are in good condition and inflated correctly
- Add anti-freeze to radiators
- Make sure windscreen wipers and washers are working properly
- Make sure windscreen washer bottles are full and contain screenwash to stop them freezing and help keep your windscreen clean and clear.